These are the exciting things we will be doing this half term
Our topic is ‘Down on the Farm’ and we will be looking at different farm stories and learning all about farm animals! For a couple of weeks this half term, we are going to have some chick eggs in class and be able to observe them hatching! After the Summer half term, we are hopefully going to be able to visit a farm too (more details about this will be sent out nearer the time).
Our focus books this half term are going to be What the Ladybird Heard, Life Cycle of a Chick, Captain Duck and Pig in the Pond.
We will be learning the following phonics sounds:
- ‘ai’ as in aim
- ‘ee’ as in eel
- ‘igh’ as in knight
- ‘oa’ as in goat
- ‘oo’ as in cook
- ‘oo’ as in spoon
- ‘ar’ as in arm
- ‘or’ as in fork
- ‘ur’ as in purse
- ‘ow’ as in owl
- ‘oi’ as in oil
- ‘ear’ as in ear
- ‘air’ as in hair
- ‘er’ as in herbs
- ‘er’ as in builder
- ‘ur’ as in rescue
This half term, we will be learning about:
- Shapes – describing and sorting 2D and 3D shapes.
- Patterns – recognising, completing and creating patterns.
- Numbers within 15 – these numbers are 10 and … more.
Understanding the World:
- We will talk about Easter and the Christian celebration as well as looking at some similarities and differences between religions.
- Learn about changes of matter through melting chocolate.
- Watching the development of chicks in class and record what we observe.
- Sorting different animals based on their habitat and what kind of animal they are.
- Learn about the Queen’s Platinum jubilee.
PE will now take place on a Thursday afternoon. We are going to continue with outdoor PE lessons where possible. Please make sure children have their PE kit on Thursdays (white t-shirt and black shorts) and that it is NAMED. Please ensure children are wearing trainers on Thursdays. We will only do PE outside if the weather is appropriate.
We are going to focus a lot on discussions about positive behaviour, being good friends and our class rules. We will be introducing ‘Good to be Green’ this half term and details will follow to give you more information about this.
- Play and Learn sessions will continue on Wednesday mornings.
- Bradley Bear and the Snuggle Pack will continue to be sent home every Friday.
- Show and Share will continue on Thursday afternoons with Mr Thomas – the focus for each week will be put onto Dojo by either myself or Mr Thomas.
- Reading volunteers – we are looking for some parents to come in weekly and read with children. If this is something you would be interested in, please let me know ASAP and I can give you more information.
Here are your ‘dates for the diary’ this half term. If anything else comes up, I will send information out on ParentMail/Dojo.
- Monday 2nd May – Bank Holiday (school is closed).
- Tuesday 3rd May – We are expecting our chick eggs to arrive!